• Christmas Holidays: There was some flying during the holidays with people available most days. The best day was Hogmany with quite a few people soaring the Dallas ridge. Steve Young was able to contact some very rough wave in the Rothes area and reached the dizzy heights of 5,000 ft. At least the sun was shining.

  • Sunday 22nd: Flying would have been possible but it was one of these days when it would just be within limits. Work was done on the new clubhouse project instead.

  • Saturday 21st: Flying again with a grand total of 17 launches, no soaring to speak of though.

  • Sunday 15th: For the first time in what seems like an eternity there was some flying. No soaring just a few launches on a flat calm day with 8/8 cloud cover.

  • Saturday 14th: No flying.

  • Satutday 7th / Sunday 8th: Again no flying due to the horrid weather.


  • Weekend 30th / 1st Dec: Yet another weekend lost due to wet weather. Some work was done around the site with the holes filled in that were the result of recent flooding. Thanks to Rick Jones the Janus C of A is complete and it is rigged and ready to go if we ever get some decent weather.

  • At the recent Sportmoray Awards Night our CFI, Robert Tait, was given the special achievement award, sponsored by the Elgin Rotary Club. This was in recognition of his outstanding 500 km flight in May that started and finished at Easterton and for which he gained his diamond distance badge. What made the flight even more remarkable is that it was only the fourth time it had ever been done in Scotland in thermal and in a fairly low performance glider as well.

  • Weekend 23rd / 24th: Some excellent lookingwave in the sky during the week and at the weekend. The weather gods however decided it should rain buckets during the night making the strip too wet and boggy to use.

  • Weekend 16th / 17th: Two and a half inches of rain in the 48 hours preceding this weekend caused the stream that runs in the culvert under the strip to overflow on to the strip on Saturday. Thankfully damage to the strip was minimal mainly due to the extra pipes that were put in recently and Tony's ongoing work on the site drainage. By Sunday the rain had stopped and water levels on the site had dropped dramatically. Flying might have been possible on Sunday but most of the membership couldn't get to the site. This was due to the fact that most of the rest of Moray was severely flooded with many roads blocked, bridges washed away and several roads blocked by landslips. 

  • Sunday 10th: Heavy overnight rain left the strip very boggy, this combined with strong winds in the morning meant another days flying was lost to the weather.

  • Saturday 9th: Light winds, mostly circuits with the longest flight around 20 minutes.

  • Sunday 3rd: The K.21 has made a welcome return after its extended holiday in Yorkshire. A moderate southerly wind was giving wave up to 9,000 ft although it did tend to shift around quite a lot during the day. Later in the day those that couldn't get into the wave were able to fly the Dallas ridge up to 2,000 ft and easily make it back to Easterton. 

  • Saturday 2nd: Wind and rain, no flying.


  • Sunday 27th: Heavy showers for most of the day, no flying.

  • Saturday 26th: Westerly winds with the ridge working for most of the day and some elusive wave around in the afternoon. 27 launches, 29 hours and 27 minutes flying and no rain before sunset!

  • Friday 25th: As if we hadn't had enough rain it poured down again for most of the day. The poor grass runway is almost at saturation point and is not getting a chance to dry out.

  • Thursday 24th: Westerly winds backing south-westerly, the ridge was working and late in the day some lucky people got into weak wave. Robert Tait and a visitor had the best of the wave getting to just over 7,000 ft in the BGA Duo Discus.

  • Monday 21st to Wednesday 23rd: Northerly winds and almost continuous heavy rain for 3 days.

  • Sunday 20th: Calm winds and clear sunny skies for the best part of the day. There was some local soaring in thermal in the afternoon. It turned very cold at dusk with water that was being used to wash the gliders turning to ice.

  • Saturday 19th: Westerly winds with the ridge working intermittently during the day. At least there was flying between the showers of sleet. We welcomed our visitors from Norfolk GC for their second week with us.

  • Wednesday 16th to Friday 18th: Wind, rain, hail sleet, snow. No flying and some fairly depressed looking pilots who have taken a week off.

  • Tuesday 15th: The wind was again E/NE but with some rather prolonged showers. Mike again managed to soar in the Ben Rinnes area in his Nimbuus 3D, today it was the turn of Anne Burgess to share the flight with Mike.

  • Monday 14th: The wind was light E/NE, occasional showers of rain. Mike Foreman and Martin Knight managed 3 hours in Mike's Nimbus 3D and got to 5,300 ft in almost unknown easterly wave just east of Ben Rinnes.

  • Saturday 12th / Sunday 13th: No flying this weekend due to low cloud and rain.

  • Sunday 6th: 28 launches, 10 hours 41 minutes flying, longest flight was Peter Goodfellow in the Junior with 1 hour 16 minutes.

  • Saturday 5th: No flying today.


  • Sunday 29th: The wave day we have all been waiting for! It would be the last day of the Norfolk expedition when some had already set off home. The wave looked better than it was, a significant factor may have been that the 6,000 ft wind was only 20 knots. However, a lot of people did get some wave flying with Robert and Phil getting the best height at just under 10,000 ft  flying the BGA Duo Discus. There were even a couple of cross countries as far as Feshie.
  • Saturday 28th: Rather overcast at times but still some lift to be had, nothing spectacular though.
  • Friday 27th: Another soaring day with mostly thermal working.
  • Thursday 26th: Yesterday evenings wave clouds had all but disappeared. The wind was barely 10 knots from the NW. Terry Slater was first to launch and created a frenzy of activity at the launch point when he declared he was overhead the airfield climbing in weak wave. Alas it was not to last and all too soon pilots were back on the ground. For most of the afternoon people had to resort to bumping along the ridge just to stay up. About 4pm the sky finally opened again and most people were able to get into weak wave, the highest getting to around 7,000 ft.
  • Wednesday 25th: No flying, rain by mid morning and for most of the rest of the day. The sky did clear in the early evening just before sunset to reveal wave clouds of the kind that have you setting your alarm clock for 2 hours before sunrise.
  • Monday 23rd / Tuesday 24th: Lots of warm sunshine and light winds with some good thermal to be found especially going inland a bit.
  • Sunday 22nd: Light NE wind and some good thermal soaring to be had in the afternoon although it was confined to the local area.
  • Saturday 21st: We welcomed our visitors from Norfolk GC with the very rare but not unknown, northerly wave. Terry Slater and Steve Young had the best of it with climbs to 7,000 ft.
  • Saturday 14th & Sunday 15th: Low cloud again prevented any flying this weekend and work continued apace on the new clubhouse. Gordon Pledger who serves on the BGA board of directors came to visit us on Saturday. Gordon gave a talk on the role of the BGA and then a talk on hypoxia. Most of those who attended the meeting stayed for a meal in the Birnie Inn afterwards. 
  • Saturday 7th & Sunday 8th: No flying the whole weekend due to heavy rain and low cloud. Not all bad news though because lots of work was done on the new clubhouse.
  • Tractor Trouble: Both the tractors decided they wanted a weekend off and refused to play. The injector pump on one of them packed in and one of the big tyres on the other one went flat. Well done to Cecil Taylor who pulled out all the stops and had the injector pump replaced by the following weekend. Thanks also to Andy Anderson who got the tractor tyre fixed. No sooner was the tractor pressed back into service towing the mower for grass cutting when the mower struck a tyre hidden in long grass and promptly threw a drive belt and jammed it in an almost impossible place. Thanks also to Tony Butler, Roger Christie and everyone else who helped fix the mower.
  • Sunday 1st: The day started with a clear blue sky and a moderate SW wind. Any thoughts of a stonking day were soon shattered by advancing high cloud which progressively obscured the sun and quickly restricted thermal activity. There was some local soaring however before the rain finally came in the early evening.


  • Saturday 31st: It was a flying day but no exact information available at the moment. 

  • NEW CLUBHOUSE: Real progress is being made on the new clubhouse now. The external block work is up, most of the windows are in and the roof trusses also up. Well done to all those who have given up their spare time and gliding time to work on this project. There is still a long way to go with this project so if you can help in any way please don't be backwards in coming forwards.

  • Sunday 25th: Light winds and overcast for most of the day. When the sun did finally come out mid to late afternoon the thermals were popping and allowed some people to soar as far as the Spey valley.

  • Saturday 24th: Rather overcast with little soaring. A good day for those who needed circuits training.

  • Sunday 18th: Unfortunately there were no remnants of the previous days wave. The wind was light westerly with occasional showers. We did have lots of visitors who didn't seem to mind the weather.

  • Saturday 17th: WAVE DAY OF THE DECADE - Saturday was a little bit better than your average wave day. In fact, it was one of the best days ever seen at Easterton. To give a quick summary, five people went above 20,000 ft, two diamond height claims and numerous gliders stopped around the 12,000 ft  mark because of lack of oxygen. The wind was southerly and strong (about 50kts at 2,000 ft) which made the aerotows a bit sporty as the tug pilot said! The wave was stable all day and steadily improved until by the end of it there was a monster wave bar directly overhead Easterton that was so solid looking you would have thought it was carved out of stone! Both Robert Tait and Mark Brown took a climb near Lochindorb in a system that was obviously going to 30,000 ft plus. Robert reported climbing from 5,500 ft at an average of 7 knots all the way to FL 245 (24,500 ft) and was still climbing at 6 knots at that height. Mark broke off at 24,000 ft to guarantee his diamond height. Later on, Rick went to 23,000 ft and was climbing at 10 knots plus at that height but again broke off to guarantee his diamond height. David Chalmers went to 20,000 ft but did not have a barograph so will have to do it again. Geddes Chalmers and John Caithness went to 21,500 ft in the Acro.

  • Inter Club League at Feshie, 10th to 12th: Some local scratching on Saturday but no cross country and a no contest day. Sunday was very similar and also a no contest day. Monday saw Fulmar win the day and the trophy for the year with 2 entrants doing some cross country kilometers and landing safely in fields. The lead taken by Fulmar had proved unsurmountable. Congratulations to Fulmar on retaining the trophy at Easterton for another year.

  • Sat 10th / Sun 11th: Information for Easterton is a bit sketchy for this weekend, however it would appear it was rather overcast with light winds a little soaring.

  • Sunday 4th: Warm and sunny with a light SE wind gave some very good thermal in the afternoon up to a 4,000 ft cloudbase. A small crew and lots of visitors and most people got some soaring.

  • Saturday 3rd: Very foggy, no flying. Jim Tait spent the day cutting the grass to a bowling green finish in preparation for Sunday's flying.

JULY 2002

  • Sunday 28th: Normally what is posted here is news of progress and achievement, both from individual members and from the club as a whole. Today however was one of those days when hard lessons were learnt. The day started well enough, there was a 20 knot SW wind, the ridge was working and 3 gliders were able to soar in very strong lift in front of an advancing weather front. As the front came through Easterton the cloudbase dropped to around 200 ft, the wind swung around to the north and there was very heavy rain. The 3 gliders that were airborne had to land in a field about 2 miles away in the Rothes Glen. Unfortunately the HGC K.21 was damaged in the field landing, luckily there were no injuries to the 2 crew. The K.21 is now away for repairs.

  • Saturday 27th: The day started off dull and boring although hot. It then turned into one of the best wave days we have seen for ages. We eventually had most of the fleet up with two gliders getting over 12000 ft. Even the T21 got up to 7000' (Brrr) and flying continued until nearly 9pm.

  • Sunday 21st: Initially cloudy but soarable, lots of people did lots of flying. Well done to Tony Butler who completed his field landing checks and now has a Bronze C with cross country endorsement. The T21 from Angus GC arrived for a short but very welcome visit. It was very popular, especially later on when the sun came out and warmed things up. It
    launched on the winch and aerotow and did quite a bit of soaring.

  • Saturday 20th: Pouring with rain, no flying.

  • Sunday 14th: Light westerly winds and rather overcast in the morning. However the sun did break through in the afternoon giving some good thermal although the cloudbase was only a little over 3,000 ft.

  • Saturday 13th: It was sunny and warm but despite a promising start it never really developed until late on. However, a great deal of people turned up and we were kept extremely busy especially in the two-seaters. There was local soaring on and off all day. We also saw the welcome return of the tug last Wednesday and as ever, it was kept busy.  Peter Goodfellow converted to the K18 and promptly completed his first half hour in it. Late on in the afternoon the sea breeze retreated and we had some spectacular soaring with 8 knots to 6000' as late as 8pm.

  • Sunday 7th: Some soaring in thermal but frequent showers eventually put an early end to the days flying.

  • Saturday 6th: The weather was dull and overcast but one person who didn't mind was Peter Goodfellow who went solo, our congratulations to him.

JUNE 2002

  • Alasdair Raffan: It is with great sadness that we have to report the death of Alasdair Raffan in a motorbike accident that occurred on the 25th June. Alasdair was a member of the club from its earliest days. He went solo very close to his 16th birthday and contributed much in the clubs formative years. On leaving school he joined the RAF and was well known in the RAFGSA. He was never posted in this area in his time in the RAF but made many visits back to the club whenever he was in the area visiting family. He will be a great loss to gliding and to all those who knew him. Our condolences to Denis and the rest of the family.

  • Wednesday Evening Flying: We have flown and soared most Wednesday evenings this month. Most of the soaring has been on the ridge with some weak wave. We have been landing as late as 10pm and still with plenty of light for putting the gliders in the hangar. We will only be able to operate on Wednesday evenings for another 6 to 8 weeks so come out and make the best of the Wednesday evenings we have left. 

  • Sunday 30th: Rain all day.

  • Saturday 29th: Rain in the morning which cleared to give thermal and wave in the afternoon.

  • Sunday 23rd: Some soaring again between the showers.

  • MEMBERSHIP INCREASES: Our CFI, Robert Tait, and his wife Teresa, have been working tirelessly to increase the membership of the club. Congratulations from the whole club to the Tait family on the birth of a son on Saturday 22nd. 

  • Saturday 22nd: Quite a few members at RAF Kinloss Families Day helping out Fulmar GC or just enjoying the Red Arrows and the rest of the fast jets display. For those that went gliding there was rain in the morning but some soaring in the afternoon between the showers and Cu Nims.

  • Saturday 15th & Sunday 16th: Lots of soaring, mostly in thermal. On Saturday Tony Butler managed to get a silver height claim by the skin of his teeth.

  • Sunday 9th: No flying due to poor weather, lots of odd jobs done by the members that turned up anyway.

  • Saturday 8th: Weather dull with SE winds. some flying but no soaring.

  • Monday 3rd (Open Day): Greyskies in the morning turned to rain just before 11am when we were due to open our doors. The rain finally stopped at around 1.30pm and the flying finally got started with a fine aerobatics display by Terry Slater in the K.21. The afternoon became quite bright with sunny spells and a reasonable number of visitors turned up. 32 visitors were flown in gliders or motor gliders and flying was extended more than an hour beyond our scheduled closing time to make up for the late start due to the weather. Our visitors enjoyed another aerobatic display by Terry in the late afternoon. Organizing and running the open day was a huge amount of work, many thanks to everyone who helped.

  • Sunday 2nd: Much of the morning was spent preparing the airfield for the open day on Monday. In the afternoon  a number of gliders were launched into wave with the tug. Terry Slater had the best of it climbing to 12,500' and going to Grantown and back.

  • Saturday 1st: A few people soared the Dallas ridge in southerly winds. Anne's LS7 went to the Cooper Park in Elgin as part of a display for the Queen's Golden Jubilee celebrations, good publicity for the open day on Monday.

May 2002

  • Wednesday 29th: Evening flying, 3 visitors, ridge/wave working up to 2,300 ft, last flight landed at 10pm after 45 mins on the ridge.

  • Sunday 26th: Fairly strong south easterly winds. The tug was busy doing aerotows after having its carburetor replaced.

  • Saturday 25th: Very showery and windy with only two winch launches for the Acro which needed test flown after having its ASI replaced.

  • In The News: The local papers have been reporting on Robert's 500k diamond distance flight. See the articles HERE

  • Monday 20th to Wednesday 22nd: Phil's school group from Elgin Academy flew every day with wall to wall thermal on Tuesday. 

  • Sunday 19th: Soarable again in southerly winds with a 5 meters/sec climb in wave reported, topping out at 6,100 ft. Rain stopped play again mid afternoon.

  • Saturday 18th: Soarable in southerly winds with climbs up to 7,000 ft. Rain stopped play mid afternoon.

  • Sunday 12th: A lot of people declared tasks based on the forecast for Sunday and what a day it turned into. David declared a 300K: Easterton to Dalwhinnie to Rhynie to Feshie and back. He had a damn good go at it aswell completing all the turn points and after heading some of the way home elected to land back at Feshie to avoid a late retrieve. Some 260Km covered though so well done David. Angus took the Dart up to Feshie and I think was hoping to fly back but conditions deteriorated in the afternoon with spreadout and light rain. Phil and Robert declared a 500K: Easterton to Callander to Dufftown to Pitlochry and back. They both Launched early at 10am and already the thermals were working well. There was also noticeably less wind than on Saturday. Phil got as far as the Feshie area before getting stuck trying to cross the high ground. He returned to Easterton to complete 168Km. Robert Tait completed the 500K he declared TO BECOME THE FIRST PILOT TO GET A 500K DIAMOND DISTANCE CLAIM ON A FLIGHT FROM EASTERTON. WELL DONE ROBERT, A FANTASTIC ACHIEVEMENT. Read here a full account in his own words of his historic 500k flight.

  • Saturday 11th: The day looked fantastic but the thermals were quite rough and broken low down, in the afternoon the cloudbase went up to 5,000 ft. Lots of people did a lot of soaring but mostly locally. Phil and Andy earned monkey points by leaving the tail pin for the Jantar on the ground at Aboyne. Phil then crowned it by attempting to soar the Junior to Aboyne to pick it up. After getting as far as Rhynie a couple of times he ended up landing out at Dufftown! ....and still had to drive to Aboyne to get the pin. Tony has pictures of the Junior from overhead in the Bocian to prove it! The Bocian did find a little bit of wave on the way back from Dufftown.

  • Inter Club League: First meeting of the year from the 4th to 6th at Aboyne. Read Robert's report.

  • Monday 6th: Blue skies and largely unsoarable due to the inversion but hot and pleasant. The strip was cut.

  • Weekend 4th/5th: Saturday was very soarable with 3 people from the whisky festival turning up. Angie was busy in  the motorglider testing Tony's field landing skills. Terry was busy checking out Tim Griffiths on the tug. Well done Tim, we now have another tuggie. I also hear rumour that an Aboyne tuggie is coming across at weekends to do some aswell. He has also been cleared. This should give us full tug coverage every weekend. Many thanks to Terry for getting those people cleared. Sunday, the Whisky festival journalists turned up and enjoyed their flights. It was soarable in the morning until the sea breeze killed all the lift. It was however a lovely sunny hot day.

April 2002

  • Sunday 28th: No flying due to rain. Lots of people getting on with jobs like painting the steelwork in the new hangar though.

  • Saturday 27th: Some decent flying with thermal up to 4,000 ft cloudbase. Well done to Chris Gill who re-soloed after a long period away from gliding. Showers curtailed the day though.

  • Sunday 20th: No flying due to strong winds.

  • Saturday 20th: Some reasonable flying with a couple of people up at 7,500 ft in wave.

  • Sunday 14th: Rain all day but the time wasn't wasted with work progressing on the current round of C of As.

  • Saturday 13th: Light north easterly wind at Easterton with the upper wind a light south westerly. Cloudbase at Easterton never much exceeded 3000 ft and yet up at Feshie it was 6000 ft. Stuart Naylor flew to Feshie to retrieve the "bomb" (a trophy that can be taken away by any visiting glider pilot who has flown to the club holding the trophy at the time). With the "bomb" safely stowed on board Stuart took a launch in the LS7 and soared home. Phil had a gallant attempt at 300k in Jantar 767 and after turning Dalwhinnie and Dufftown landed out near Craigellachie. Martin also went for a bit of a jolly and landed out near Knockando in Astir 770.

  • Sunday 7th: Another blue day but pretty flat with 40 launches.

  • Saturday 6th: Blue thermal day with lots of soaring.

  • Friday 5th: Southerly winds with thermal and wave.Those that managed to launch in the morning were able to stay away as the crosswind increased and prevented launching again until about 4 pm. Phil managed to turn Pitlochry before landing out the ASH with Colin Conti near Kingussie. Ian Thomson and Robert took R50 to the Dee valley and climbed to 11,500 ft. Take offs were quite interesting late afternoon and those brave souls who managed to had some really good soaring. Stuart Naylor got to 16,700 ft in LS7 753 to claim his gold height and complete his Gold C.

  • Thursday 4th: Southerly winds again. There was eventually some flying late in the afternoon which stopped due to poor and decreasing visibility.

  • Wednesday 3rd: Strong southerly winds prevented any flying this day.

  • Tuesday 2nd: Southerly winds and excellent wave going in excess of 13,000 ft. Robert and Tony completed 300K in the ASH in under 3 hours and take off until 4.45 pm. Many others also had good soaring in wave and thermal.

  • Monday 1st: Dull with patches of rain that eventually stopped flying. There was however some soaring.

March 2002

  • Saturday 2nd: No flying due to poor weather.

  • Sunday 3rd: The journalists who were visiting in connection with the Speyside Whisky Festival all managed to get good flights before the weather turned for the worse so at least we have something to be thankful for.

  • Saturday 9th: This turned out to be quite a good day with quite strong thermals going up to nearly 3500' later in the day. Miraculously, considering the deluge we had the night before, we managed quite a bit of tugging and there was a considerable amount of soaring done in thermal and ridge between showers.

  • Sunday 10th:  Today was a total write off for flying with blizzards and howling southerlies. Luckily all the flying for the instructors refresher course was completed yesterday so today's weather was fine for the classroom stuff.

  • The Annual General Meeting was held on Sunday the 10th, followed by the prize giving and annual dinner.

  • Friday 15th: The local paper The Northern Scot carries an article about the club's connection with the Speyside Whisky Festival in May.

  • Saturday 16th: Horrible with strong south easterlies and only 4 flights of which the longest was only 4 mins. 

  • Sunday 17th: This turned out to be a beautiful day. 44 launches of which 11 were aerotowing. Thermals were working up to 4000 ft and some pilots even managed to venture to a few kilometers of cross country. Mind you, Robert's crate of beer for the first 300K flown from Easterton will have to stay in the fridge for a little while yet. The weather was exceptionally warm making it a very pleasant day.

  • Saturday 23rd: Strong south easterly wind and no flying.

  • Sunday 24th: Despite the doom and gloom rantings of the weather men, this was quite a good day with several wave flights. Ian Benzie got the best of it with 10,000ft in R67. The wind on the ground was southerly but at 3,000ft  it was almost westerly making the shifting wave quite sporting.

  • Thanks to Roy the battery mounting in the Junior is repaired and the GPS mounting has been installed. The GPS was suitably tested when Martin Knight took JMY to 5,000 ft in wave on Sunday.

  • Thursday 28th: Fulmar  got the Easter break off to an early start with a couple of aerotows in the afternoon. The Acro had a couple of hours soaring in the lovely Spring sunshine while Mark Brown managed to climb to 12,000 ft in blue wave in R67.

  • Friday 29th (Good Friday - and it sure was to some people): A stonking thermal day. Mark Brown completed 180k of a declared 300K in Astir 770. Roger Christie declared and completed O/R to Feshie for 100K claim in Junior JMY. Roy Scothern attempted 50K to Feshie in the K.8 but landed out at Ferness.

  • Saturday 30th: Most unusually we had moderate westerly winds but with very poor visibility (around 5K for most of the day). The ridge and thermal were working for most of the day. The poor visibility meant that most people restricted themselves to local soaring although the ASH did get up Speyside as far as Grantown. Congratulations to Colin Conti who went solo today.

  • Sunday 31st: Much better visibility today but the occasional shower of rain. There was some soaring in thermal and on the ridge despite mostly overcast conditions and the ASH did manage a little bit of cross country.

February 2002

  • Saturday 2nd: No flying due to strong winds. Sunday 3rd: A dismal day, what little flying there was ended before lunch when low cloud and rain set in.

  • Saturday 9th: Brisk westerly winds kept the ridge going all day. There was a little thermal activity early in the afternoon but only Steve Young got into wave getting to 10,000 ft at Ben Rinnes in 488.

  • Sunday 10th: The ridge was working well again with lots of people getting some soaring. Nobody managed to into the wave and rain forced an early finish. Still, over 22 hours were flown this weekend so that's bound to put a smile on the treasurer's face.

  • Saturday 16th: Ridge and wave working again. David Chalmers managed to combine the two with a wave flight topping out at 13,000 ft for his gold height. Fortunately the strip was dry enough for Rick Jones to do some much needed aerotowing in the afternoon and get more gliders into the wave.

  • Sunday 17th: Ridge and wave again.

  • Saturday 23rd: Snow showers, heavy at times, no flying as you might expect.

  • Sunday 24th: Dry and sunny but cold with little or no wind, a couple of inches of snow lying on the airfield. No flying reported for this day.

January 2002

  • The first days flying of 2002 was on Wednesday 2nd: What an excellent start to the year with gliders being launched straight into 8 knots lift in a light southerly wind. The wave however topped out at around 6,800 ft but the views were reported as fantastic with almost unlimited visibility.

  • The wave was working again on Saturday 5th and Sunday 6th with Roy Scothern getting his silver height claim going to 5,800 ft on the Saturday with 2 barographs having missed out on Wednesday by going to 6,800 ft without a barograph at all.

  • Saturday12th: Moderate southerly winds made launching and landings interesting. It was worth it though for those that managed to get into wave from the winch in the afternoon. The Junior managed to get to 4,000 ft but the 60kt wind at that level made higher climb difficult. Sunday 13th: Another soaring day with the ridge working well in fresh south westerly winds

  • Saturday 19th: Lots of ridge soaring and 2 gliders going over 10,000 ft in wave. Steve Young in his Ventus (488) and Stuart Naylor in the LS7 (753). Sunday 20th: A wet and windy start to the day but those who stayed go some soaring in the afternoon.

  • Saturday 26th: No flying due to bad weather. Sunday 27th: Another good day with ridge lift working up to around 2,000 ft.

Highland Gliding Club
Easterton Airfield
United Kingdom

Find us on Facebook